Samba 2.2.2. Home & Shared Directories Unable to access Sub-Directories

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Fri Nov 16 03:44:58 GMT 2001

Have you checked the ownership of the sub directories. Note that to be able to access/read a directory, you need rx, and since yours are rwxrwxr--, if the user does not own the files, or is not a member of the group that owns the files, this is the message you should receive.

To ensure that the correct group owns the files created in a shared share, you might want to chmod g+w the top directory, and chgrp all the files, or set "force group = +<groupname>" and look at the create mask and related options.

Buchan

Running samba-2.2.2 on Mandrake 8.0 (PDC), 2* samba-2.2.2 on Mandrake 8.1 member server, samba-2.2.1a on Mandrake 8.0 member server.

>I seem to have a problem (Samba 2.2.2 on Mandrake 8.1) when I create
>sub-directories in shared directories from windows explorer or on the SAMB
>box via webmin I find that when I then try to interrogate the new
>sub-directory via windows I get a message :-
>\\SERVER\xxxxxx\new <file://\\SERVER\xxxxxx\new> refers to a location that
>is unavailable. It could be
>on a hard drive on this computer, on a network, or on a different computer
>on your home network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted,
>or that you are connected to the internet or home network, and then try
>again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved
>to a different location.
>
>I have checked all the permissions and they all look ok they are inherited
>from above as rwx rwx r--
>so that should be OK.
>
>Has anyone got any ideas as to what might be going on???
>
>I don't know if it is related, but I am running system as a PDC and the
>users seem to log on OK as we see only the relevant users home directory,
>but again the .profile sub-directory in the users home also gives the same
>response as above and to date we have been unable to get the machine to
>store roaming profiles I guess because the directory is not accessible.
>
>HELP
>
>Peter

Cellphone * Work       +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 808 2497 ext 202