how to integrate samba 2.2.2 into a 2000 active directory domain

Dennis Lyness dlyness at parthus.com
Thu Nov 15 12:28:02 GMT 2001

Hi,
I have compiled samba 2.2.2 and enable pam and winbind for solaris 2.8
and configured samba as a member sever, but I am still having problems
authenticating windows users against the samba shares. It appears that
if the user has a unix account they appear to be able to access the
resources but otherwise authentication fails. I would prefer not to
create unix accounts for the pc users as I thought would be the case if
samba was authenticating against a domain controller.

PS pwdump.exe does not work with active directory servers is there any
other way of obtaining usernames and uid from a win2k active directory
server.

sample of the relevant settings below

workgroup = domname
security = domain