Win2000 SP2 & Samba 2.2.2 "There is no user session key for the specified logon session."

Garrett Ellis garrett.ellis at analexphoenix.com
Wed Nov 14 16:04:11 GMT 2001

Hello, everyone. I've been trying this for days now; and I am close to
the point of giving up. Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.
Description of the problem follows:

I am trying to configure Samba 2.2.2 (compiled from source) as a PDC for
Win2000 clients. Here is my config file. It looks exactly like the
example that comes with the tarball; this is because after rewriting
smb.conf ~50 times I decided to use a clone of the example just in case
I really am missing something.

[global]
        workgroup=SAMBA
        domain logons=yes

        domain master=yes
        local master=yes
        preferred master=yes
        os level=65

        encrypt passwords=yes
        security=user
        null passwords=yes

        logon drive = H:
        logon home = \\PDC\%u
        logon path = \\%N\profiles\%u

        log file=/usr/local/samba/var/%m.log
        log level=2
[netlogon]
        path=/usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
        writeable=no
        write list=ntadmin

[profiles]
        path=/usr/local/samba/lib/profiles
        writeable = yes
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700

After compiling 2.2.2, (no special ./configure options, just stock
default), I created the above conf file. /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf.
Then I :

* touch /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
* smbpasswd -a root
   (password given for root, root successfully added to smbpasswd)
* groupadd machines
   useradd -g machines -d /dev/null -s /bin/false BOX$
* smbpasswd -a -m BOX
   (pressed enter twice for the machine password, successfully added)
* smbpasswd -a gellis
   (entered a password for me, gellis is also my linux username when not
root, successfully added to smbpasswd)

I have two Windows 2000 workstations that I am trying to join to this
new domain called "SAMBA". One is running SP-1, the other runs SP-2.
When I attempt to add a computer to the domain "SAMBA", it immediately
prompts me for a username and password, so I enter:

root
(root's password as given to smbpasswd)

I then receive the error message:

"There is no user session key for the specified logon session."

I've been getting this error message for days now; and I've tried the
following versions of Samba:

2.2.0   (There is no user session key for the specified logon session.)
2.2.1   (There is no user session key for the specified logon session.)
2.2.1a (There is no user session key for the specified logon session.)
2.2.2   (There is no user session key for the specified logon session.)
2.2.3-pre (cvs) (There is no user session key for the specified logon
session.)
Samba-tng 2.6 (Successfully joined a domain; but TNG has no support for
domain admins according to the manpages, so it is entirely useless to me
until it can support domain administrators.)

So, I thought I would be smart and search support.microsoft.com for that
error message. Well, not atypical of Microsoft, their support site is
absolutely useless, so I've taken to searching google and samba web
pages. It seems that nobody has had this error, and if they have, they
haven't posted anything about it. I will now attempt to answer some base
configuration questions that I will likely be receiving:

My Linux (PDC to be) Machine
Debian Linux 2.2r3
Static Kernel 2.4.12
Samba 2.2.2 (currently), installed in /usr/local/samba/. Samba was
compiled from source with no special options.

My two Windows boxes run SP1 on one and SP2 on the other. I have
administrative accounts on the machines. One of these machines has just
been reinstalled and still gives me the same error; so I am confident
the error is not caused by a corrupt 2000 installation.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I would really like to make this work.
I see so many people on this list successfully joining W2K machines to
domains and I know this can work; I just want to know how! :)

Thanks,
Garrett Ellis