Samba 2.2.2. Home & Shared Directories Unable to access Sub-Directories

Peter Tunstall peter.tunstall at ntlworld.com
Wed Nov 14 13:30:09 GMT 2001

I seem to have a problem (Samba 2.2.2 on Mandrake 8.1) when I create
sub-directories in shared directories from windows explorer or on the SAMB
box via webmin I find that when I then try to interrogate the new
sub-directory via windows I get a message :-
\\SERVER\xxxxxx\new <file://\\SERVER\xxxxxx\new> refers to a location that
is unavailable. It could be
on a hard drive on this computer, on a network, or on a different computer
on your home network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted,
or that you are connected to the internet or home network, and then try
again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved
to a different location.

I have checked all the permissions and they all look ok they are inherited
from above as rwx rwx r--
so that should be OK.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what might be going on???

I don't know if it is related, but I am running system as a PDC and the
users seem to log on OK as we see only the relevant users home directory,
but again the .profile sub-directory in the users home also gives the same
response as above and to date we have been unable to get the machine to
store roaming profiles I guess because the directory is not accessible.

HELP

Peter