Logon failure to samba PDC with w2k-clients

Alex aoclarit at kiwi.dhs.org
Mon Nov 12 18:20:02 GMT 2001

Hi all
I'm running RH7.2 and Samba 2.2.1a as a PDC. Win98 clients have no problem
logging on but W2k machines do.
I made sure I added the machinename with a $ at the end in /etc/password and
then in smbpasswd but when I try to join the domain from the w2k-box it ask
me for an account with admin rights which I supply but then gives me a

Logon failure: unknown username or bad password

I can use the same credentials to log on from a win98 box and I made sure
the account has domain admin rights. Since I already created the
machineaccount I'm not sure why the win2k-client still asks me for a
domain-adm account to join the domain. Did I not add the machine account
properly ?

Can anyone who's successfully done this tell me what I'm missing.

Alex