Win2k Roaming Profiles problems under NTFS

Noel Kelly noel at lolith.net
Sat Nov 3 10:16:20 GMT 2001

This behaviour sounds like Windoze 2000 Workstation WITHOUT Service Pack 1
or 2 installed.  There is a bug in Win2000 whereby the NTUSER.DAT file is
not released by the OS until a reboot is performed.  Hence the reason you
cannot delete the profiles from the workstation and hence the reason the
profile never gets copied to the server.

We had huge trouble with this for about six months - people had tens of
profiles on their machines .001, .002 etc.  We blamed Novell and their
client but then, surprise, surprise, it was M$ as per normal.  What a
monumental waste of time.

Load the service pack and profiles will copy successfully.

Noel