Samba ist very slow

mjorda at berlitz.de mjorda at berlitz.de
Thu Nov 1 00:36:03 GMT 2001

Hello list members,

ist' really a pain in the neck ..... running samba as PDC and
everything is working fine but ... if a user tries to open a Word,
Excel, PDF etc. document by double clicking on the file in the
explorer it take 30 to 50 seconds to open a 5 kb file. This is not
always like that but mostly - very strange. With explorer and copy I
don't have that problem.
I found in a news group a solution. They said, the caus of the prob
is an incorrerctly defaulted parameter, which affects programs
opening files but does not affect copying files with explorer. So,
they recommended to put 4 lines in the smb.conf to solve the prob.

lock directory = /var/spool/locks/samba
share modes = yes
oplocks = true
locking = yes

I did that but the prob was not solved.

Has anybody any idea to get rid of that. I mean I'm not the only
person in the world trying to open files by double clicking them whit
samba. Maybe someone had that prob and solved it.

thanks in advance.

Manfred