Linux as a PDC

Roy Thomas royt at subexgroup.com
Thu May 10 10:55:34 GMT 2001

[Roy Thomas]
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/
http://samba.cadcamlab.org/using/work/html_cygnus/DBTOHTML-CHA-2.html#CHAPTER-2

hi ajay

here's some hints on how i went about setting up...... if this could help........
The above 3 site will give you a brief of samba PDC
You can get the source/binaries from www.samba.org
you can install samba-alpha 2.2 or the cvs version on the RD 7.0
steps are
download->configure->make->make install
Now samba needs to be configured. Some highlights of what needs to be done
Groups have to be created to which different classes of users will belong.
Add Users/workstations(manually or thru scripts) on linux/samba
The '/etc/smb.conf' contains all of the samba configuration
Define the home share
Define the profile share
Define the netlogon share
you can start off with minimum setup and then try to configure scripts to logon
and to add workstations,printer conf etc

Its working fine for me..
try out ...........this is not everything but something to start offf......

SAMPLE SMB.CONF FILE

global]
workgroup = "your domainname"
server string = samba PDC
hosts allow = 10.10. 10.20. 127.
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
log level = 3
max log size = 50
security = user
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
unix password sync = yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n
domain admin group = @admins
domain admin users = root
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
local master = yes
os level = 65
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes