SUN PC Netlink, was Re: Whose Running Samba as a PDC

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Tue May 8 19:20:18 GMT 2001

Adam Lang wrote:

> Those answers were pretty sufficient. :)
>
> I was under the impression that Sun had a licensing contract with MS.
>
> Honestly enough, I'm surprised that AT&T was able to work the deal they did
> with Sun.  You'd think MS would have put in a nix on that in the contract.

MS dropped the source code drops to AT&T as soon as W2k was in beta.
AT&T sued and settled for cash, not code.

> It is sort of interesting on what they are going to do since the only option
> they would now have is to reverse engineer SMB or move Netlink to Samba and
> follow that development path.
>
> But the fact that the future of Netlink being uncertain is very important.
>
> ... I wonder if they would be able to release some of the Netlink code to
> the Samba team in order to get Samba upto speed to Netlink in certain areas
> so they can merge their product to Samba... I guess it all matters how the
> licensing terms are formed...

We talk to the Netlink team at CIFS conferences. We do *not*
and cannot share code due to the license on the AT&T code
they're working on.

The good news is that for 2.2 Herb @ SGI helped us get Samba working
as a domain member in a netlink domain, and netlink working as
a domain member in a Samba domain.

Jeremy.