homes share and logon path

Mike Rylander miker at incanta.net
Mon May 7 20:40:45 GMT 2001

It is a windows thing.  The logon dirs NAME is cached, not the acutal
connection, so in the case of 'logonpath = \\server\\%U' windows attempts to
reconnect the first users home dir (shared by the [homes] section).  but if
you force samba to do the thinking ('logonpath=\\server\profiles' and
'[profiles];path = /home/%U/profile') then windows can cache the name
'\\server\profiles' all it wants.  Also, puting the profiles in a subdir
called profile in each home directory helps keep the home dirs clean (a must
if the users use both windows and UNIX).  Of course I could be wrong about
all of this, but that is how I understand it, and this works for me.

On Monday 07 May 2001 15:43, Ron Peterson blathered on about %s:

--
Mike Rylander
Senior Unix Administrator