Samba 2.2.0, Win NT Profiles & User Registry not Updating

Nik Thirty-Nine nik39 at gmx.net
Mon May 7 17:16:52 GMT 2001

Hi,

I am using Samba 2.2.0 and I am experiencing problems with roaming user
profiles. The Samba server is acting as a PDC in a Windows NT domain.
With w2k clients, profile updates are no problem at all, but when using
NT4.0 it seems that the profile is not properly downloaded from the server.
Also
it looks like the _whole_ User Part of the registry is not copied properly
or
not immigrated properly into the running system. Therefore settings like
desktop background etc. (which are stored in this part of the registry)
don't
get updated or dont get immigrated when I relog on the clients machine.
Still
things like links and files which are stored as files in "Desktop" in every
users /home/profiles get updated properly.
The only workaround I have found is adding the domain-users to the local
administrators, this works and this time also registry is copied properly,
and
any user settings gets restored.
Does anybody knows what the problem is? Is this a bug?
Any help is appreciated.
Regards

Nik

Here is my smb.conf:

        workgroup = DOM
        netbios name = DOM_PDC
        interfaces = 192.168.100.1 127.0.0.1/32
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        min passwd length = 6
        keepalive = 30
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
        character set = ISO8859-1
        logon script = scripts\%g.bat
        logon drive = H:
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 2
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        wins support = Yes
        unix realname = Yes
        domain admin group = @adm
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -n -g  -c users -c Machine -d
/dev/null

; Uncomment the following, if you want to use an existing
; NT-Server to authenticate users, but don't forget that
; you also have to create them locally!!!
;  security = server
;  password server = 192.168.1.10
;  encrypt passwords = yes

   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY

   map to guest = Bad User

; Uncomment this, if you want to integrate your server
; into an existing net e.g. with NT-WS to prevent nettraffic
;  local master = no

; Please uncomment the following entry and replace the
; ip number and netmask with the correct numbers for
; your ethernet interface.

; If you want Samba to act as a wins server, please set
; 'wins support = yes'
   wins support = yes

; If you want Samba to use an existing wins server,
; please uncomment the following line and replace
; the dummy with the wins server's ip number.
;   wins server = 192.168.1.1

; Do you wan't samba to act as a logon-server for
; your windows 95/98 clients, so uncomment the
; following:

   domain logons = yes
   domain master = yes

[netlogon]