homes share and logon path

Mike Rylander miker at incanta.net
Mon May 7 16:20:39 GMT 2001

Here is how I solved this problem:

[globals]
   .
        logon path = \\%N\profiles
        logon drive = h:
        logon home = \\home_dir_server\%U
   .

[profiles]
        path = /home/%U/profile
        read only = No
        guest ok = No
        browseable = no

Then create the profile directory in each home dir (/home/*).  %U is
reinterpreted each time windows connects to samba, and samba is doing the
translation, so windows isn't involved.  To simplify admin, I am NFS mounting
/home from home_dir_server so that the users profile is in his global unix
home directory.  And as far as I know, the [homes] shares are the only shares
that hangs around.  NOTE:  your windows and unix usernames must be exactly
the same, including case, for this to work.

--
Mike Rylander
Senior Unix Administrator

On Saturday 05 May 2001 23:59, you mumbled homes share and logon path: