samba 2.2 / Windows 2000

aVANTGUARD avant at 2600.org.au
Thu May 3 14:24:12 GMT 2001

I'm not sure if this problem is published, or 2.2 is not designed for this,
but from what I have read I'm sure I should be able to get this working.

I have a samba 2.2 server running on my Linux server, and Windows 2000 sp1
(fully patched) running on my client machine.
The workgroup for both is 'underground'
The machine names are: 'technolust' and 'avant' respectively.
Now, the user on the client machine happens to be the same as the machine
name. 'avant'

A user on the Linux machine exists with the name 'avant' (username) UID =
1000
I've also already added 'avant' to smbpasswd with
'smbpasswd -a avant'
and entered the password

It is fine up to this point
then I try to add the machine name in with

'smbpasswd -a avant -m avant'
and I get this -->

technolust:/etc# smbpasswd -a avant -m avant
User avant$ does not exist in system password file (usually /etc/passwd).
Cannot add account without a valid local system user.
Failed to modify password entry for user avant$

This is strange, since the avant user *does* exist in the '/etc/passwd' and
'/usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd'

If I try to add the Windows 2000 machine to the domain, I get either these
two error messages:

"The account used is a computer account. Use your global user account or
local user account to access this server."
"The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials."

There is an account on the windows 2000 machine also of 'avant'
They all have the same password.

technolust:/usr/local/samba/bin# ./smbd -V
Version 2.2.0

Is there something that I am doing incorrectly, or not doing at all?

If anyone has similar issues or, knows the solution, let me know please!

Thanks,
	avant.

ps attached is my smb.conf file.

-------- smb.conf ----------