Migration from NT to Samba domain - how

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Wed May 2 14:43:56 GMT 2001

Hi all,

Quick question for you all :-). I have the following setup

NT PDC
Samba 2.0.7 member server
NT clients

All user file are on the Samba machine, and all printing is done via the
Samba machine. The NT PDC does authentication only. There is no BDC, and
no problems with trust relationships, etc. All users already have
accounts in /etc/passwd on the Samba machine.

With the release of Samba 2.2, I'd very much like to upgrade my Samba
server to 2.2, and, at the same time, make this machine the domain
controller, allowing me to retire the NT PDC. I'd like to achieve this
as transparently as possible for the end users. Has anyone done this, or
is there a FAQ anywhere. I'd like to avoid having to create a new domain
and join all the machines to it manually....

Any advice, gotchas, and general info would be much appreciated.

Mike.