Unix PW Sync

David Bannon dbannon at tpg.com.au
Wed May 2 13:30:32 GMT 2001

At 11:08 PM 1/5/2001 -0500, Justin D Davis wrote:
>It appears the Unix PW sync doesn't work in 2.2.0.  When I tried with it
>off, things worked okay.  When I turned it on, the Unix PW's were changed,
>but the windows PW's were not....

The 'windows PW' were not ..! Do you mean the local pw stored on Win95/98 ?
If so, samba has no chance to mess with that (nor should it).

The two passwds that samba plays with are in:

1. /etc/passwd (/etc/shadow etc)
2. /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd

The system does work but it involves some 'tuning' on your part. The
problems is that samba fails to change /etc/passwd it usually does not know
why. So it tells the WinNT (we are talking about WinNT or W2K arn't we ?)
that things went wrong, don't know what and WinNT tells the user that its
their fault.

David
David Bannon, phone mobile : 0418 525687
Private -                         Work -
Email :  dbannon at tpg.com.au	  D.Bannon at vpac.org
                                  http://www.vpac.org
Phone :  9337 4210                9925 4733