ZDNet reviews Samba 2.2

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Wed May 2 06:51:44 GMT 2001

Michael B. Allen writes:

> On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 08:14:32AM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > eWeek reviewed Samba 2.2 at :
> >
> > http://www.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2712294,00.html
>
> "... had to reverse-engineer the proprietary protocols Microsoft Corp. uses
> to authenticate users and systems over the network-using, in many cases,
> nothing but a packet sniffer."
>
> I'm just curious but can someone describe to me what it's like trying
> to decode RPC messages? That's nothing like RAP calls right? How in the
> world do you know what the fields are? How can you even tell, for example,
> wheather or not some bytes are two sorts or an int or dead space?

That was Luke Leighton's handiwork.  Once he worked out it was in
DCE/RPC format most things could be decoded with only a large
amount of head against wall bashing.  (-:

It's interesting to note that the order and size of the arguments
on the wire are pretty much the same as they are in the MSDN.
Running netmon also provides a lot of clues.

Tim.