disappearing shares.

Frank Carreiro fcarreiro at loweryinc.com
Tue May 1 19:51:08 GMT 2001

I have similar problems with RH 6.2 and 2.07.  I understand the problem
is with smbfs which started as a "non-samba" product bundled into the
linux kernel.  On the samba web site I noticed that Andrew Tridgell has
taken over maintenance of smbfs

http://va.samba.org/samba/smbfs/

Sent him a couple of emails with my message log which shows several
interesting error messages.  Haven't heard back from him yet.  I suspect
this has something to do with the windoze 2k auto disconnect.  If a
connection is idle for 15 minutes windoze disconnects the linux mount
screwing linux up (basically the share disappears).  If you cd into the
share and type "ls" you get an i/o error message for your troubles.
Check out Micro$oft's side and read article ID: Q138365.

You can try increasing the idle time (or disabling it) and see if that
helps.  My NT admin is unwilling to disable the feature so I'm hopefully
another solution will present itself.  My message logs show many retry's
and the occasional fail message.  (I always grimace when I see that).
You can always remount to a new mount point but that's a band aid and
not a solution.  Rebooting fixes the problem for a bit.  Still not a
good solution.

BTW, you mentioned a system has the share mounted for days.  By any
chance is that share regularly used?  Is it mounting to a win2k box also?

I've also rewritten smbfs/proc.c increasing the timeout from 5 to 30
seconds which "seems" to have helped a little (SMB_RETRY_INTR
increased).  I suspect if the win2k server is VERY busy auto disconnect
will still occur and trash your mount point.  Haven't had alot of time
to investigate this further.  I noticed this issue has come up several
times in the samba mail list archives.  Hopefully we can get some
discussion going.  I can't believe there aren't that many people using
smbfs.  It's a handy tool and I use it all the time :-)

Frank Carreiro
UNIX Systems Admin.
HS&A