Required Samba user id's

Greg J. Zartman greg at kwikfind.com
Thu Mar 29 15:57:13 GMT 2001

Lista,

A couple things:

1. You don't need to have an account on your windows machines for root, even
though the Samba PDC FAQs state that you do.  Simply log into the Win2k
machine on a user account with Power User access or greater the then join
the domain.  When Win2k asks for authentication to join the domain, then use
the root username and password.

2.  I configure the add user script parameter in my smb.conf file to add the
machine account to the unix and samba password files (add user script =
/user/sbin/adduser -n -g machines -c Machine -d /dev/null -s /bin/false %m$

3.  I'm not a veteran unix user, so this comment my be obvious to the
veterain.  I find that if I edit my smbpasswd file with anything but the
command line editors (e.g., joe & vi), it makes it unreadable to Samba.

Good luck.

Greg