computer account it its primary domain is missing

Martin Thomas mthomas at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Tue Mar 27 13:52:03 GMT 2001

Hi,

try to add a unix user 'nobody' to your system (in passwd).
On my debian box its user nobody, userid 65534, groupid 65534,
home dir /tmp, login shell /bin/false.
You might want to add the line 'guest account = nobody' in the
global section of your smb.conf (but seems to be the default)
I think the guest account is needed for the initial browsing of the
pdc (hidden share IPC$).

Just a little comment on your smb.conf: you have deactivated
the add user script line. Try:
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g machines -c CompAccount
 -d /dev/null -s /bin/false %m$
This should work on Debian and SuSE linux. So you don't have to
add the machine-accounts by hand to join a Windows-Box to the domain.
(Can someone add this to the pdc-faq? addusers takes different
parameters at least on the linux systems I use here)

Greetings,
Martin