help w/ samba+win2k

Jonathan Chan jchan at broadcast.com
Sat Mar 24 22:17:59 GMT 2001

i've searched the archives, and couldnt find a solution for my scenerio.

i'm running bsd and samba 2.0.7, and i want my two win2k boxes to see/use
my samba shares.
i do not have (nor want) to setup a pdc since it is just two computers i'm
working with and i'm the only user on both computers. my user account and
password is the same across all three boxes.
when i try to hit the home directory win2k keeps prompting for a username
and password. i did notice that the prompt is including the
netbios/hostname of the samba server. what i would like is for the share to
authenticate using my bsd account. i went through encryption.txt but i'm
still stumped. any help/pointers would be appreciated.

here's my conf file.

[global]

    workgroup = WORKGROUP

    server string = Samba Server

    log file = /var/log/log.%m

    max log size = 50

# Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
# security_level.txt for details.
;   security = user
security = share

# Use password server option only with security = server
;   password server = <NT-Server-Name>

encrypt passwords = yes

    socket options = TCP_NODELAY

domain master = no