Samba 2.2 alpha3 released

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Sat Mar 24 18:26:18 GMT 2001

On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 02:57:30PM +0100, Christian Barth wrote:
> > Prepare to split wildcard handling out for old DOS/Win3.x clients, not
> > done yet.
> Does this mean that future releases of samba will not fully suport
> these old clients? This would be a drawback as we have a net that
> needs not only new w2k-machines but also these old clients (never
> change running labatory equipment). Sorry if this is a silly question.

There are no silly questions. No, it doesn't mean that
the new Samba won't support old clients - we still fully
support and test (using vmware) back to clients that use
"PC NETWORK PROGRAM 1.0" protocol.

We've recently discovered that older clients use a different
wildcard matching algorithm than Windows NT and newer versions
of Windows, and the comment refers to the fact that we're intending
to have two wildcard matching algorithms, selected by incoming
client protocol type. The switch code is in place, but I'm still
waiting on Andrew, who has promised to do the (tedious) work
needed to work out the exact older wildcard algorithm (he
also did the tedious work to determine the new wildcard
algorithm) - I'm expecting to have this done before official
ship, but needed to tell people it wasn't done yet in this
alpha.

Hope that helps clarify things,

Jeremy Allison,
Samba Team.

PS. Check out the "demotivational posters - my favourite is :

"CLUELESSNESS.
There Are No Stupid Questions, But There Are A Lot Of Inquisitive Idiots."

http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/things/370b.html

: