% options dont work

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Sat Mar 24 14:02:30 GMT 2001

At 11:06 AM 3/23/01 +0100, Nick De Decker wrote:
>Hello again,
>
>As i was adviced i tried a simple test with the % options (preexec in
>global sections which did /usr/local/samba/bin/preecho %M %I, with preecho
>containing echo $1 $2 >> /tmp/echo.txt)
>This works perfectly, but then i tried to use %M and %I in some other
>things in my smb.conf and it doesnt work there :(

This is all covered very well in Special Edition, Using Samba :-)

>whats wrong with :
>
>   server string = server %L %M %m %I %v
>   logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%M\%U
>

>server string gives me : server beluga UNKNOWN nmb 0.0.0.0 TNG-alpha
                                                ^^^

This should give you the hint. The server string is constructed by nmbd
when it sends out an announcement for your server. There is no client (%m
and %I) when the string is constructed ...

Elementary, my dear Watson.

>Same for logon path :(
>
>How comes it worked in the preexec thing but not here ?
>
>Nick

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com