Joining CVS-PDC with W2K terminal server

Håvard Berland berland at stud.math.ntnu.no
Thu Mar 22 15:57:57 GMT 2001

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Christian Barth wrote:

|  > but we only get the message "The credentials supplied conflict with an
|  > existing set of credentials".
|
|  This sounds like a problem known form all joinings to a domain: Are
|  you sure that you do not have any connection to any share of any
|  server on the w2k-ts during the attemped to join the domain? In this
|  case you get a similar message on NT. Probably thats not only with
|  connection to shars, but with other network (ts-clients, ....)
|  aktivity as well. Just my thoughts.

I managed to solve the problem by restarting the samba server and
rebooting the w2k-ws a couple of times. I also stripped our former
smbpasswd as the log complained about it being corrupt.

The machine successfully joined the domain, but regular (smbpasswd)
users are not able to log on to the machine. While logging in, users
immediately receives the message:

"The system cannot log you on to this domain because the system's
computer account in its primary domain is missing or the password on
that account is incorrect."

But the w2k-ws has just made its entry in smbpasswd while joining the
domain!

In the Event Log of the w2k-ws there is an error stating:

"Failed to authenticate with \\MONA, a Windows NT or Windows 2000 domain
controller for domain MATH-MONA"

where MONA is indeed our samba server.

And, I guess because of the error in the Event Log, samba does not log
anything when a user tries to log on.

--
Håvard Berland                           www.stud.math.ntnu.no/~berland
Systems Administrator and Student of Numerics at