Netbios name or IP not known

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Thu Mar 22 15:40:02 GMT 2001

Hi Nick,
Don't know why - but here is a simple test that works for me:
in global section of smb.conf:
preexec = "/opt/samba/bin/preecho.sh %I %m %M"

/opt/samba/bin/preecho.sh:
echo $1 $2 $3 >>/var/opt/samba/echolog.txt

make sure that echolog.txt exists and is world writeable:
touch /var/opt/samba/echolog.txt
chmod 777 /var/opt/samba/echolog.txt

make sure that preecho.sh is executable:
chmod 755 /opt/samba/bin/preecho.sh

Then test:
smbclient -L mysambamachinename

Results in /var/opt/samba/echolog.txt:

15.44.48.49 rkm-nt rkm-nt.atl.hp.com

Try this simple test to make sure it works before going to something
more complicated.
Hope this helps,
Don