Which Samba & How with Win2k

Greg J. Zartman greg at kwikfind.com
Mon Mar 19 19:42:06 GMT 2001

Milos,

Yes, BIND 8 does support dynamic DNS update.  I'm currently using Bind 8.2.3
with DHCPD 3b3pl9 and the DDNS update works like a champ.  Very easy to
setup and maintain.

I'm not so sure that Linux admin is more difficult to learn than Windows
admin.  I've been working with Windows since 1989, so most aspects of it
come pretty easily for me.  I would expect that after spending nearly 12
years with an OS, I would be fairly proficient with it.    I started using
Linux about 2-3 months ago.  Before that, the closest I'd ever gotten to a
Unix OS was accessing a site using command prompt FTP.  Yes, it was a
difficult transitions at first.  I had to do alot of reading and posting on
news groups such as this one.  But, in that time I converted all of my major
network services from Windows to Linux.  The only thing I use windows for
now are client machines.  When you look at the learning curve for me
learning Linux network admin, I'd say it's very favorable.  Once you learn
the basic concepts of how Unix works, most of the admin functions can be
figured out by doing a little reading.

I know for a fact, I haven't spend enough time working with this to equate
to the cost of a Microsoft Enterprise setup.  Additionally, I feel like I
now know more about how my network is functioning than I did with the
Windows setup.  With windows, everything is in a "black box."  You really
never know for sure what's going on.  With my Linux setup, I know exactly
how things are functioning as I can look at the config files and log files
and see exactly what's right or wrong with my setup.  When I ask my Windows
network buddies questions about DNS theory, for example, many don't really
know how it works, they only know how to set it up in windows.  After
reading HOWTOs and newsgroup posts and working with this stuff, I feel that
I have a good understanding of these primary network functions actually
work.

If you are looking for the best bang for your buck, my money would be on
Linux hands down.

My two cents.

Greg