Which Samba & How with Win2k

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Mon Mar 19 12:40:21 GMT 2001

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Ken Cole wrote:

> Simo,
>
> Simo Sorce wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Ken Cole wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all.
> > >
> > > I am a newbie on the list and a newbie to Samba but have a
> > > fair bit (16 years) Unix and Linux (3 years) experience.
> > >
> > > I have a site with a Win2k PDC and a Redhat Linux 6.2 server
> > > with Samba 2.0.6.  I need the Linux server to be a BDC for
> > > the domain.  Can this be done?
> >
> > No, It can't be done at this point.
> > Samba 2.2 can be a PDC also for win2k and samba 2.0.7 (not 2.0.6) is able
> > to share files to win2k.
> >

> Is 2.2 stable for a production server?
The branch is still marked as alpha software, but someone just use it in
production. You may give it a try.

> What do you mean by 2.0.7 can share to win2k?
Samba versions previous than 2.0.7 may have problems serving files to w2k.

> Can I smbmount win2k shares to 2.06, 2.0.7 or 2.2 Samba?
>
> > > If so with which version and what are the primary smb.conf
> > > variables I need to set?
> > >
> > > I have tried a number of settings but none even allow for
> > > the
> > > linux server to be "seen" when doing a Find-Computer on a
> > > Win98
> > > workstation.
> >
> > To have the best resoults, use a wins server and make all machines
> > register with it.
>
> Do you mean make the Samba server a wins server or wins
> client?

If you have a wins server make the samba server register himself
see wins directives in smb.conf(5)

--
Simo Sorce - Linux Systems Consultant
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel: +39 0348 7149179 - Fax: +39 02 700442399