compiling issues with directories

David A. Mason damason at davenet.mine.nu
Thu Mar 15 21:02:46 GMT 2001

The directions in the documentation section of www.samba.org provide the
specifics for creating a private directory and setting its permissions
correctly, as well as a sample rc script (/etc/rc.d/init.d/smbd). It is also
normal for it not to create a smb.conf in the lib directory; you will have
to write one.

What you should do to prevent the default rpm samba from getting in the way
is
	chkconfig smb off
(or whatever the name of your smb startup script is)

Then, use the sample rc script in the documentation to create a new smb22a
or something. Be sure to set the permissions correctly (you can use the same
permissions as the old smb rc script).

Then, follow the documentation for creating your smb.conf in the lib
directory.

Then, start samba:
	service smb22a start
or