compiling issues with directories

Kevin Chan kkc at uclink4.berkeley.edu
Thu Mar 15 18:58:02 GMT 2001

Hi to everyone,

I have been trying to install Samba 2.0.7 on my Redhat Linux 6.2 as both a
file server and an NT domain controller.  I am encountering a problem that
is quite odd and I am not sure why I am having this problem.

When I installed Redhat, I had it install the samba files thinking that I
would just overwrite them with the samba 2.0.7 install.  However, after
compiling and installing samba, there is no smb.conf file in the lib
directory and no private folder.  This issue is easily overcome as I have a
copy of smb.conf from the redhat install of samba (it installs it in
/etc/samba) and I can create the smbpasswd file by calling the smbpasswd
binary.

However, the mapping of the directories appear to be from the redhat
install of samba.  When I start smbd, it is still looking for the smb.conf
file in /etc/samba, not /usr/local/samba/lib.  And when I create an
smbpasswd file by calling the smbpasswd binary, it creates it in
/etc/samba/private).  I have reconfigured the 2.0.7 samba and this problem
still exists.

Any insight on this matter will be welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin Chan
Systems Administrator
Administrative Computing