question about Samba in a windows network

Pim Bliek pim.bliek at cmg.nl
Wed Mar 7 12:16:07 GMT 2001

Hello,

I'm trying to setup Samba 2.0.6 on HP-UX 11.0 in a Windows network.
Unfortunately, this is a Windows only network (no DNS server for instance,
only WINS...).

When users here are using their normal Windows9x installs on their laptops.
they authenticate with a NT server. This server uses a username and password
for this. How this is exactly configured I don't know.

What I want to do is have my Samba box verifying username and password with
this server, and then let the user be able to browse his homedirectory on
the server. I can match their NT username with the UNIX username with this
username map feature, and this seams to work fine..

I cannot get this to work :-(
Can someone please give me a decription on how I could try to do this? Which
settings in the smb.conf are crucial here, and how do I set this? I did
quite some doc-reading but I lack the experience to find what I need.

Best regards,

Pim Bliek