SWAT: please help

GL Fournerat gary at netin.com
Mon Mar 5 22:12:22 GMT 2001

Hello all:

Here's the problem [on a RH7 running kernel 2.2.17-14 with
Samba 2.0.7-21ssl and xinetd-2.1.8.9pre14]:

http://localhost:901 does bring up the SWAT login dialog
box.. but upon entering root as the user, followed by my
root passwd in the next entry... it tells me "Authentication

failed. Retry?"  I can tell you that I did enter the correct

root passwd, because I am root on this network.

Any ideas.. or should I just forget SWAT [as in it's buggy]
and run the daemons manually?  I've fought with this for
three days and I've had enough.

Historical:  [all this is done as root]

Created the group 'smb'

Created the user 'smbuser' w/ a home dir of /home/public
[I also disabled login on this user account when I created
it]

#chown smbuser:smb /home/public
#chmod 2777 /home/public

#mkdir /home/samba
#chown smbuser:smb /home/samba
#chmod 2770 /home/samba

#mkdir /home/samba/data
#chown smbuser:smb /home/samba/data
#chown 2770 /home/samba/data

Via Linuxconf, open the group smb, and add the users I want
included in this group.

#emacs /etc/hosts
#cat /etc/hosts
#
#  arendia.FOURNERAT//etc/hosts
#
127.0.0.1            localhost.localdomain        localhost
192.168.0.115    arendia.FOURNERAT    arendia
192.168.0.111    compaq.FOURNERAT    compaq
192.168.0.112    marilyn.FOURNERAT    marilyn

[Note:  localhost and arendia are the same RH7 box.. compaq
is a NT 4 PDC... marilyn is a Win98 workstation.]

#emacs /etc/samba/lmhosts
#cat /etc/samba/lmhosts
#
# arendia.FOURNERAT//etc/samba/lmhosts
#
127.0.0.1            localhost
192.168.0.115    arendia
192.168.0.111    compaq
192.168.0.112    marilyn

#grep swat /etc/services
swat                901/tcp                    # Samba Web
Administration Tool

#emacs /etc/xinetd.d/swat
#cat /etc/xinetd.d/swat
# default: off
\
#                          to configure your Samba server.
To use SWAT, \
#                          connect to port 901 with your
favorite web browser.
service swat
{
            port        = 901
            socket_type    = stream
            wait        = no
            only_from = 127.0.0.1
            user        = smbuser
            server    = /usr/sbin/swat
            log_on_failure    += USERID
            disable    = no
}
#cat /etc/hosts.deny

ALL:ALL

#cat /etc/hosts.allow

swat:  127.0.0.1  192.168.0.

#killall -HUP xinetd
And somewhere along the line, the file /etc/samba/smbuser
was created (Linuxconf?)...

#cat /etc/samba/smbuser
#Unix_name = SMB_name1 SMB_name2
root = administrator admin