Samba as Domain Controller

Tim Gildersleeve t.gildersleeve at bilk.ac.uk
Mon Mar 5 12:28:35 GMT 2001

I think here we are in an argument of semantics!  To the everyday user who
just wants to get on with it, most people I speak to do not know the
difference between a domain controller and a win95 logon server.  This is
not helped my MS having the "logon to domain" box in win9x.  However, I
think that most people know what people mean when they say that they want a
win9x client to belong to a domain.  They just mean that they want to logon
to it.  To them this *IS* the domain controller.

To all win9x users wanting a *domain controller*, just stick with 2.0.7.  It
has all the *domain controller* features that you will need.
You dont need the *advanced NT Domain controller features that will be in
2.2 unless you have NT, 2000 clients.