FW: Speed comp. TNG & 2.2.alpha (fwd)

Elrond elrond at samba-tng.org
Sat Mar 3 13:35:17 GMT 2001

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 06:05:50PM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
[...]
> In any case, it would be good to get a list of all groups on a system
> and not see all the private groups setup for each individual user when
> all I want to see is admins, staff and students - if you see what I
> mean.  This would also knock out many of the 'system' groups in the
> process, as they exist only because they don't want to run as 'nogroup'
> - they are just private groups for that particular system daemon.
[...]

One way to get those groups out of the view in current TNG
is to use domain alias map:

Map those groups to aliases. Aliases are only used on the
PDC itself, so you will only see them in the listbox, if
you change the perms for a file on the PDC itself.

In the long run though, we want to move to a SAM-like
implementation, so you only have those groups in your
lists, that you actualy create. For filesystem purposes you
map those to actual GIDs (via SURS)

Of course the other way round will get interesting, what
happens, if we have a file with a GID, that SURS does not
known about...

    Elrond