Samba as Domain Controller

Eric Pilger pilger at kahana.higp.hawaii.edu
Fri Mar 2 23:38:01 GMT 2001

John Benedetto wrote:

> --On Friday, March 02, 2001 9:22 PM +0000 Kristyan Osborne
> <kris.ozzy at lineone.net> wrote:
>
> > The win95 machines do not authenticate against a PDC as the OS does not
> > require it. A win95 machine will only authenticate the user name and
> > password.
> >
> > Even though the login box says DOMAIN a 95 box will only be part of a
> > workgroup and not a domain.
> >
> > Just trust Richard Sharpe!!
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Kris
>
> Okay, but if you have a mixed Windows network (9x with NT or even Win2K),
> don't you *HAVE* to set up Samba as a PDC, because setting it up as a logon
> server will NOT work for NT & Win2K?

No. You can just have everybody join a workgroup. Unfortunatlely, you have to
set the username/password information on each machine.
This works, but it sure is humbug. I am living for the day when I can convince
Samba 2.2 to let my Win2K machines join its domain. May be time for my monthly
attempt.

--
Eric J. Pilger

Systems Administrator

Hawaii Institute of Geophysics and Planetology/SOEST

pilger at pgd.hawaii.edu

(808)956-6321