Samba as Domain Controller

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Fri Mar 2 18:32:38 GMT 2001

At 12:59 PM 3/2/01 -0800, Greg J. Zartman wrote:
>I'm catching alot of flake about my suggestion that win 9x machine be part
>of a domain.

No, you are not catching a lot of flack! (Flake, BTW, are shark fillets :-)

We are simply suggesting that you do not need the domain controller stuff.

In point of fact, there is almost no difference between a domain controller
setup and a non-domain controller setup :-)

The only difference is the presence of machine trust accounts and whether
or not the clients use MSRPC for logging on etc.

However, 2.0.7 should work for you except for the Win2K machines.

>Here is the question that I would ask anyone considering whether to use a
>workgroup setup of a domain?  Do you need to control access to certain
>shares and do you enjoy spending all of you time configuring peoples
>machines?
>
>Personally, I like having the ability to restrict access to certain shares
>on my network.  I also don't like to spend all of my time configuring
>machines and updating usernames and passwords.  That's why I use a domain.
>If someone changes their password, the change is recorded in one place and
>accessible by all.

Ummm, for Win9X machines, there is no difference between a domain and a
workgroup. Samba only has a workgroup parameter, not a domain parameter.
That is because a domain, as far as the protocols are concerned, is a
workgroup with a centralized password server.

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com