Samba as Domain Controller

Craig Kelley ink at inconnu.isu.edu
Fri Mar 2 20:44:00 GMT 2001

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Kristyan Osborne wrote:

> I agree! In my old job at a school all client machines were win 95. A 95
> machine can only be part of a workgroup and not a domain. Thus a domain
> controller with a machine password database would make no sence if win 95 is
> only validating a username and password.
> We used a 2.0.7 server as a file-server with the user password database.
>
> I am currently working on a NT 4 network with all clients NT4 wks controlled
> by a samba server which is a PDC, as a machine database is required.

Actually, Windows 95 machines can be a part of a certain -kind- of domain.
Samba can deal with that just fine.  We have NT4 and Windows 95/98
machines all authenticating (and running login scripts) against our Samba
2.0.5 server.

I should probably upgrade to 2.0.7 one of these days, but when it works,
it just works fine.

Craig Kelley  -- kellcrai at isu.edu
http://www.isu.edu/~kellcrai finger ink at inconnu.isu.edu for PGP block