Samba as Domain Controller

Kristyan Osborne kris.ozzy at lineone.net
Fri Mar 2 20:37:20 GMT 2001

I agree! In my old job at a school all client machines were win 95. A 95
machine can only be part of a workgroup and not a domain. Thus a domain
controller with a machine password database would make no sence if win 95 is
only validating a username and password.
We used a 2.0.7 server as a file-server with the user password database.

I am currently working on a NT 4 network with all clients NT4 wks controlled
by a samba server which is a PDC, as a machine database is required.

Cheers

Kris

Computers are like airconditioners: They stop working
properly if you open windows.
Win95:    A 32-bit patch for a 16-bit GUI shell running on top of an
          8-bit operating system written for a 4-bit processor by a
          2-bit company who cannot stand 1 bit of competition.