Samba as a PDC and NIS authentication

roger at labtie.mmt.upc.es roger at labtie.mmt.upc.es
Fri Mar 2 11:55:22 GMT 2001

    Are you really sure that this solution might work? I've been working in
that direcction and I've found enough problems to discard it as a possible
solution. For instance, (allways taking into account that we are under NIS
athentication environment), first at all you have to split the problem in two
subproblems: changing pass from windows side (and automaticly change the
Linux pass), and do it from Linux (and do it automaticly for the windows
env.). Going on, from windows, the standard solution is to use passwd program
= /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Please\senter\snew\spassword:* %n\n
*Please\sretype\snew\spassword:* %n\n
which are executed as root. Using NIS the passwd program has to be yppasswd,
which requires the root password to make the change possible. Well this is
just an example of the problems I've found going in that direction. Honestly,
I think that isn't the best way to solve the problem of password unification.

    I think that a good way to solve the two passwords syncronization was
pointed yesterday by Iervine, based on using a web page to manage both
password-changes. If any one could give me more info about how to implement
it, I would really apreciate it. The Samba PDC, the NIS Server and the Web
Server run on the same machine (I think that this will make things much
easy).

thanks again