"One password for all"

David Bannon D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
Thu Mar 1 11:59:53 GMT 2001

At 02:35 PM 28/2/2001 -0800, Akop Pogosian wrote:
>Is there away to get windows and unix users to use the same password
>database for authentication? So far, I have found two Solutions:
>
>1. Use pam_ntdom module on the unix hosts, .....

Well I've used pam_smb very successfully. All passwords (except root) are
stored in the smbpasswd list. All authentication (for unix) is done
pam->pam_smb->smbpasswd.

The users see no difference, I replaced the passwd command with a link to
smbpasswd and everything is transparent. Very easy to set up and quite
likely more secure (in that things don't work the way buffer overrun
exploiters expect).

Only suitable for pam aware system of course. Gee, now I need pam for True64 !

There is a bit about it in Samba 2.2 PDC HowTo

David
David Bannon                      D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
School of Biochemistry            Phone 61 03 479 2197
La Trobe University, Plenty Rd,   Fax   61 03 479 2467
Bundoora, Vic, Australia, 3083