Problem with oplocks ?

Eric Delaet eridel.no.spam at kava.be
Thu Mar 1 09:45:12 GMT 2001

Today, I had a problem with our Samba 2.0.7 Server.

A couple of Win 98 clients weren't able to access some files anymore. The
logfile showed

[2001/03/01 10:18:56, 0] smbd/oplock.c:request_oplock_break(1204)
  request_oplock_break: no response received to oplock break request to
pid 640 on port 1043 for dev = 806, inode = 5996862

What does this mean ?

People can *only* access those files from their Windows workstations. They
don't have a valid shell on the Linux box, so there is no way they can
edit the file from within the Linux command prompt and Windows at the same
time.

Although the manual says oplocks improves speed, I temporary disabled
oplocks.

Regards,
Eric.