NT printing question

Rajeev Agrawala rajeeva at research.bell-labs.com
Wed Jan 31 22:37:19 GMT 2001

I am running HEAD Branch code from CVS. I have installed the NT printer
driver on samba machine. I have then added the printer as Network
printer to a client machine running NT4. Now when I double click on the
printer from client machine, the printer status window pops up with the
message 'printer on server <initializing>. It takes roughly 20-25
seconds before that message (<initalizing> part) goes away and and the
job in print queue are shown.

On the logs, I notice that samba server is trying to connect to the
client machine and it is timing out. Here is what I see on the samba
server logs

[2001/01/31 17:14:22, 1] lib/util_sock.c:open_socket_out(917)
  timeout connecting to 135.104.54.44:139
[2001/01/31 17:14:22, 0]
rpc_client/cli_spoolss_notify.c:spoolss_connect_to_client(69)
  connect_to_client: unable to connect to SMB server on machine VKARMA.
Error was : code 0.
[2001/01/31 17:14:43, 1] lib/util_sock.c:open_socket_out(917)
  timeout connecting to 135.104.54.44:139

There is another observation. I have the same printer served through a
PC running NT4 and this samba server. On the client machine, when I
connect to the printer served through NT4 server, on the client machine,
two pipes (in and out) are opened from the NT4 server. Whereas, In case
where I map the printer from samba machine, I have only one pipe (type
out), opened from client machine. This information collected through
'nbtstat -s' command on the NT client.

TIA,

rajeev