FW: Winbind and pam.conf on Solaris 2.6

Dean Ward WardD at TheWineSociety.com
Wed Jan 31 16:14:03 GMT 2001

Hi all,

I have made the following changes to the pam.conf installed on our test
machine at the moment. As I said before I don't have access to the machine
(not currently on site) until early Feb, so could somebody just confirm that
the following changes will work on Solaris 2.6, please?

-- START /etc/pam.conf --

#ident  "@(#)pam.conf 1.19     95/11/30 SMI"
#
# PAM configuration
#
# Authentication management
# NT authorisation is sufficient to logon to this machine
#
login	auth sufficient	/usr/lib/security/pam_winbind.so
login	auth required 	/usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so.1 try_first_pass
login	auth required 	/usr/lib/security/pam_dial_auth.so.1 try_first_pass
#
rlogin	auth sufficient	/usr/lib/security/pam_rhosts_auth.so.1
rlogin	auth sufficient	/usr/lib/security/pam_winbind.so
rlogin	auth required 	/usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so.1 try_first_pass
#
dtlogin	auth sufficient	/usr/lib/security/pam_winbind.so
dtlogin	auth required 	/usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so.1 try_first_pass
#
rsh	auth required	/usr/lib/security/pam_rhosts_auth.so.1
other	auth sufficient	/usr/lib/security/pam_winbind.so
other	auth required	/usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so.1 try_first_pass
#
# Account management
#
login		account sufficient	/usr/lib/security/pam_winbind.so
login		account required	/usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so.1
dtlogin	account sufficient	/usr/lib/security/pam_winbind.so
dtlogin	account required	/usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so.1
#
other	account sufficient	/usr/lib/security/pam_winbind.so
other	account required	/usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so.1
#
# Session management
#
other	session required	/usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so.1
#
# Password management
#
other	password sufficient	/usr/lib/security/pam_winbind.so
other	password required	/usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so.1

-- END pam.conf --

Regards,

Dean Ward

authenticate against our NT domain. However I have a couple of questions
regarding its setup and configuration. Firstly, could somebody please give a
complete example of how the /etc/pam.conf should look on Solaris 2.6 - I'm a
little troubled by the account line that the man page gives, i.e. that the
only account line required is that for Winbind - surely this would disable
Unix account management? Also, does Winbind provide password management too,
so that our users can change their NT passwords from a Unix shell? Finally,
when logging on would a user have to specify the domain (e.g. DOMAIN\Dean)
or could they just use their user name (i.e. Dean)?

> I apologise for all the questions, it's just I don't have access to the
box until early February and I'd like to get it clear in my head what needs
doing before I do it.

> Regards,
>
> Dean Ward
>
> --
>                    \\\___///
>                   \\  - -  //
>                    (  @ @  )
>  +---------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo-------------+
>  |   Dean Ward                             |
>  |   Info Systems                          |
>  |   The Wine Society                      |
>  |   E-Mail: wardd at thewinesociety.com      |
>  |   Phone:  01438 761294                  |
>                   oooO   (   )
>                    \_)
>
> "There are two major products to come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We
don't believe this to be a coincidence." - Jeremy S. Anderson.