simple sharing on an NT Domain

Luke Dyson lukexzx at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 31 03:44:49 GMT 2001

Ok I am a newbie I guess. I have set up a few samba config files in the past
and they worked. Now this time I am setting up what I thought was simple,
but it's turning out to be keeping me up late at night reading samba man
pages.
I have a NT Domain network with a NT4 PDC (named NTserver4) and a few 95
clients. All on a single subnet network 192.168.1.0 . The PDC has WINS
running and I mapped the new linux machine manually. I added a Linux machine
to use as a local intranet web server and I want a way to move files to it
like web pages and pictures. I named the linux machine "intranet" All I want
is a single public folder to be shared either without a password
(prefferably) or with a password for a few users. I have tried many
different configurations and cannot get into the public folder. I can see
the Linux machine and the public share, but when I try to get into it gives
me the message

\\INTRANET\public

the network name cannot be found.

Like I said I have even tried to set it up user security and create accounts
for the NT usernames, but none of the passwords worked for the accounts. And
yes the public folder is created and located in the usr/home directory. Here
is my config file

[global]
workgroup = VEGA
wins server = 192.168.1.11
security = share
encrypt passwords = yes
preffered master = no
local master = no
guest = ok
[public]
path = usr/home/public
writeable = yes
public = yes
printable = no

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Luke Dyson