Dualing Sambas (Or dueling Sambas, depending on how you want to l ook at it)

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Fri Jan 26 02:15:09 GMT 2001

[Vern Gill]
> First, what is SURS tdb, and is it similiar to tdbsam? Should I be
> using it for TNG.

SURS is a confused set of concepts, confused because it's been talked
to death.  The idea is to provide a translation table between UID
numbers (Unix) and RID numbers (NT) -- but the specific mechanism is
sort of up for grabs.  I don't know how the things you mention are
implemented.

> I am considering running both trees on my server. TNG for the DC, and
> HEAD for the File/Print. First, is this a good/bad idea?

Good idea.  As long as you can keep the two straight in your head.

> Second, what are the main things I need to do to allow them both to
> run? (Aside from seperate interfaces, already aliased eth0 for that
> and put the interfaces = in each smb.conf)

Not only 'interfaces=', because that is only a hint in case Samba can't
detect the right interfaces on its own (some Unices make this
difficult).  Also use 'bind interfaces only = true' to enforce your
choices, as it were.

...And that's about it.  The one big problem some people have with
dueling Sambas (I like that phrase) is that they fight for control of
the .pid and lock files.  To avoid that, just make sure the
compile-time defaults are set to different directories.

> Can the HEAD samba be a BDC or Member server of TNG? Should it/Should
> it NOT be?

Make it a member server.  The two will share the /etc/passwd file, and
thus the usernames.  HEAD does not need a smbpasswd file, naturally,
since it is in 'security = domain' mode.

> Do I need them on different ports, or just different ip's?

Just different IPs.

> If anyone is doing this, some pointers would be great.

I've never done it before but I intend to test it soon.  We are getting
a new server in for which this would be helpful.

Peter