smbclient and win2000

Graeme.Vetterlein at ntl.com Graeme.Vetterlein at ntl.com
Wed Jan 24 11:34:33 GMT 2001

I'll apologise in advance that this question MUST have
come up already but I can't find any reference to it in my archives
or on the web. I suspect that's because of the nine billions names of
windows:
	W2K, WIN2k, WIN2000, 2000 NT/2000 ...

I've recently moved to a little cubby hole (small office) and have
a small laser jet printer (oh lucky me)

However I want to do all my printing from various SOLARIS boxes. Now I'm
pretty
familiar with setting up the smbprint stuff with sysV printing ... that's
not
my problem.

The problem is the printer is DIRECTLY attached to the LPT port of a WIN2000
PC. I've shared it out and other WIN2000 PCs can access it fine.

If I do smclient -L (many different choices of options) I get one of two
possible results:

If I get the passwd wrong I get:
	session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)

If I get it right or use -U% I get: (BTW I've used many userid/passwd
combinations
NT ones, WIN2000 ones and local ones)

Domain=[UKI] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

	Sharename      Type      Comment
	---------      ----      -------

	Server               Comment
	---------            -------

	Workgroup            Master

That is I see no ships (shares). If I do the same thing and point it at NT4
boxes
all looks dandy and I've got a number of printers working this way.

I not convinced this is SAMBA problem per-se as I also can't use the WIN2000
printer from an NT box.

Has this already come up?

--
Graeme