Roaming profiles flakey.

David Barnes dbarnes at mania.physics.swin.edu.au
Mon Jan 22 11:40:22 GMT 2001

I hope someone can help me out here...

I have a Linux box running Samba 2.0.6 set up as what I think is an
NT PDC.  I am moving users over to its domain (eg "DOMAIN2") from
an older machine (eg "DOMAIN1").

For a completely new user, who was not known to DOMAIN1, everything
works fine.  Her NT profile is stored, updated, and correctly read
from ~username/.ntprofiles for all NT boxes in DOMAIN2, as I have
the following in smb.conf:

   logon path = \\tin\%U\.ntprofile

For me, I spent about a day trying to work out why my profile
wasn't being updated on ~me/.ntprofiles, after I changed my NT
box's domain to DOMAIN2.  It turned out after much lost time that
I needed to log in to the NT box as Admin., delete all profiles
other than Admin's using the Control Panel->System->User Profiles
tab, delete my .ntprofile directory completely, and then try
logging in again.  After all this was done, my profile now stores,
updates and is correctly read from ~me/.ntprofile for all NT boxes
in DOMAIN2.

However, I have repeated this procedure till I am blue in the face
for a third user who was known to DOMAIN1, and have had no luck.
Every log in to DOMAIN2 (and now also DOMAIN1) he gets the "Welcome
To Windows" window, and if the trashcan is moved on the Desktop
for example, the Desktop folder in ~him/.ntprofile appears to be
updated (looking at the date/time) but next login the trashcan is
back where it was, and nothing has changed.

What could it be?  What do I have to do?  The only thing left which
has not been done for this user is reentry of a new password on the
PDC running DOMAIN2.  ie. I copied the smbpasswd file from the PDC of
DOMAIN1 to the PDC of DOMAIN2, and probably made myself a new entry
with smbpasswd -a me, but haven't done so for him.  Could this possibly
be it?  I guess I'll try tomorrow morning, but does anyone have any
other ideas?

Desperate!

thanks - David Barnes,
Centre for Astrophysics & Supercomputing
Swinburne University of Technology.