Different workgroup= in the same domain with domain logons?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Tue Jan 16 12:13:53 GMT 2001

Hello,

we are trying to upgrade our simple Samba (2.0.7) Network from security=user
to security=domain with a centralized encrypted authentification, NIS
automount, netlogons (perhaps profile roaming) and a wins server. Attached to
this network are lots of Windows-machines, Win 9x/NT/2000.

As there are a lot of Samba servers and PC arround here (of the order of
1000), the groups have called their workgroups according to their name for
browsing purposes.

Is this compatible to having a central authorization? Or do all
security=domain Sambas need to carry the same workgroup= setting as the
password server?

Would this mean, that only one Samba server per domain may be set to "domain
login=yes", making this server act as a PDC? I suspect that login servers
would claim a special netbios name, just as domain browsers do, so having
multiple domain logon servers in one domain would break thinks, or not?

And a last question: How far can I come with 2.0.7? I have contradicting
informations ranging from "only Win9x netlogons/profiles" to "also NT, but
partly 2000".

Thanks, Axel.
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de