samba and nt, nt box vs. pdc change machine passwords ?

Makis Marmaridis I.Marmaridis at uws.edu.au
Tue Jan 16 07:18:08 GMT 2001

Actually, this is not quite accurate. The machine accounts on an NT domain
are changed automatically on a weekly basis. Therefore, it doesn't matter
how much you wait until you do the imaging, you are still bound to run into
the same problem.

Microsoft suggests the following work-around

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q154/5/01.ASP

that basically says that by modifying a particular registry key, you can
stop this behaviour (which also means that other people might then be able
to easier impersonate one of your trusted machines on the domain by guessing
its password (however until today I haven't heard of anybody doing so...
yet!) :-)

HTH,

Cheers,
Makis.