Input/output error

Grant grant at conprojan.com.au
Sun Jan 14 22:20:35 GMT 2001

> I have a peculiar error, when i boot my linux system i mount
> a share on my win2k professional machine using smbmount
> (which is included in my RH7 install). This works great and
> is very reliable. However, if someone tries to access the
> mounted share while the Win2k machine is down it gets an
> Input/output error, and it can't list anything in the mounted
> share. It is also impossible to either unmount/remount/chmod/
> delete or do anything else with the mounted share.

That's right, because the Windows machine is down.

> So to the question: is there a way to reset this mounted share
> somehow without actually rebooting the linux machine? If not,
> is there some other program similar to the smbmount which
> doesn't have this _serious_ bug and is free? Since I'm using
> the Windows2000 professional edition I am not sure if there
> is a NFS server for it, but I did hear that a NFS mount had a
> timeout setting which would stay clear of this bug.

This is not a bug. Obviously if the Windows machine is down you can't access the share...

1. You need to kill the process id of smbmount (kill -9 PID of mount.smbfs).
2. You then need to un mount the Windows share. (umount //Win2k/Share).
3. You then need to remount the Windows share.

Rebooting is only required when you update the kernel. You can "fix" problems in Linux without ever needing to reboot.