Current Development Updates?

Armand Welsh armand at welshhome.org
Thu Jan 11 20:43:40 GMT 2001

vendors usually freak out when you are doing something they know nothing
about.  I can't begin to tell you how many vendors insisted they had to have
windows NT4.0 or 2K for the application server.  After jumping though all
the hoops, it turned out they didn't have the terminology right.  They often
used the windows box a file server, from which the clients launch the client
application, which in turn, usually talked to a database back end, that,
more often than not, was either an MS-Access file, also stored on the
server, or an SQL type database server (usually Oracle, or MS-SQL, but most
any SQL server would work).  We would usually, replace the SQL server with
what we liked best, and move the files over to the samba server, after they
left, and all worked fine, for obvious reasons.

I know what you are talking about, in regards to full support, officially, I
believe they are shooting for full support in 3.0, by this, I mean, the
trusts should would.  2.2, will probably continue to function as it does
now, but you can't do sever trusted opperations that will be available in
3.0.  Perhaps we will get an OFFICIAL answer though.. :)