Passwd problems

Armand Welsh armand at welshhome.org
Thu Jan 11 18:36:31 GMT 2001

Set samba server to authenticate users against the domain.  Set security =
domain, and password server = *

after changing the smb.conf file, restart smbd so that changes will take
effect.

Then join the domain with 'smbpasswd -j domainname -r pdc'  you may need to
supply the -U username, but it should not be necessary, as the machine
account doesn't need to be created, and I can't remember ever doing it in
the past.

Setting password server = * tells samba to authenticate using ANY domain
controller (PDC or BDC) that is available within the domain.
setting security = domain tells samba to participate in a domain.